St Ann Parish Altar Server Handbook
ALTAR SERVER QUALIFICATIONS
Altar servers must:
• Be a member of St. Ann Parish and have completed the fifth grade.
• Have received the sacraments of Baptism, Reconciliation, and Eucharist.
• Have commitment to the ministry and be able to act reverently.
HOW MANY SERVERS?
Normally 3 servers are scheduled to serve. The lead altar server is the crossbearar, or
crucifer. The crossbearer is the leader of the altar server team and is the minister who
carries the cross in procession. The crossbearer must know the responsibilities of each
member of his or her team and ensure the duties are completed properly. The other
two servers are called candlebearers.
• During Solemnities a fourth server will be assigned. The fourth server is called
the Thurifer because (s)he carries the incense in the entrance procession.
• When the bishop comes for Confirmation or to dedicate a church building, two
more servers will be assigned. These two servers have special jobs: one takes
care of the bishop's staff (crosier) and the other takes care of the bishop's hat